Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Emily Can Really Devour A Book!

This is going to be a reasonably short post as the pictures tell a good portion of the story, and to be honest, it isn't a really long story to begin with; not that a small thing like that would stop me. Shortly after Thanksgiving, after we were all feeling better, we stopped off to visit Great Bob, as our previous visits had all been canceled due to illness. Emily was very excited to see him as it had been awhile since our last visit.

Towards the end of our visit, Emily discovered a small bookshelf that she could now reach, because she can stand. Christa tried to deter her, but Great Bob said that Emily could play with the book that she removed from the shelf. Christa let Emily have it since it was Great Bob's book and he said it was OK. Emily was enjoying leafing through the pages, until she got to one she REALLY liked and she ripped it out. At this point I apologized to Great Bob and Christa took the book away and replaced the page, but Great Bob said he didn't care and that Emily could destroy the book if she wanted to, so we gave it back. Emily really enjoyed removing some more pages, and making them smaller; she has a future as an editor I'm sure. As is her habit, she started to eat some of the small pages she had made, so Christa took all the loose pages away from her. Emily, not to be deterred, started to chew on the book with great relish, at which point her Great Bob said, "If I had known books tasted so good I would have eaten it myself." Great Bob is quite the kidder. So there you go, a short story made long by yours truly.

One more post closer to our goal!! See you here again real soon.


Despite all of the toys scattered around her, Emily decided to look at one of Great Bob's books.


Then she stopped looking and ripped out a page!



"Wow, look at this, Mommy! Look at what I can do!"





Then she ripped that page into pieces.




Then she nibbled on one of the pieces . . .




. . . and got a little bite.




Then she decided to nibble on the whole book!

It then became a nibbling and ripping frenzy! That poor book never stood a chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of people devouring books, I always thought that was just a figure of speech. Ummm... Emily, I hope you don't mind if I don't let you borrow any of my books...

Anonymous said...

Aunt S,

I'm sorry to hear you say that, because I was really hoping to sink my teeth into Pride and Prejudice. :P

Anonymous said...

I'll get you your own copy.

I can't help but notice, Emily, that whenever you are at your most mischievous, that is when you resemble your Grandma B. I wonder why that is?